Haitian Summer Institute
Now entering its 26th year, the Haitian Summer Institute is a six-week program designed for anyone interested in acquiring basic conversational proficiency in Haitian Creole and also for those students who wish to continue their Haitian Creole Language training at the intermediate and advanced levels. The 2023 Summer program will be completed fully-online via synchronous courses using Zoom and Canvas.
The program begins with intensive Haitian Creole language training divided into two tracks. Students will have two enrollment options: Accelerated Beginning Haitian Creole for the first half of the program and Accelerated Intermediate Haitian Creole for the final half, or Accelerated Intermediate Haitian Creole for the first half of the program and Accelerated Advanced Haitian Creole for the final half. In addition to the Institute’s intensive language courses, participants are introduced to Haitian history and culture through lectures in English and Haitian Creole presented by nationally-recognized Haitianists and Diasporic leaders. Classes are held Monday through Friday and include a morning and afternoon session.
All applicants are encouraged to submit the application packet, along with the required supporting materials to Kevin Calcagno at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00pm on May 1, 2023 (Applications may be accepted after May 1, 2023, but space is not guaranteed). FIU also offers K-12, Community College, and HBCU Educator Grants. Please consult the application website for more information.
Summer B Term: June 19 - July 28, 2023
Option 1 - 4 week program: June 19 - July 14 (6 credits)
Option 2 - 6 week program: June 19 - July 28 (9 credits, required for FLAS Fellows)
4-week program tuition & fees: $1,494.82 ($1233.42 tuition 6 credits + $261.40 program fees)
6-week program tuition & fees: $2,111.53 ($1850.13 tuition 9 credits + $261.40 program fees)
- Tuition - $1233.42 for 6 credits or $1850.13 for 9 credits due on or before June 28, 2023 (made payable via my.fiu.edu) *$100 Late Payment Fee assessed June 29, 2023
- Program Cost- $261.40 due on or before May 23, 2023 (made payable via my.fiu.edu) *$100 Late Payment Fee assessed May 24, 2023
- Non-degree-seeking Application fee- $30.00 Non-FIU students only
FLAS Fellowship Information:
- Program Length: 6 weeks
- Contact Hours: June 19-July 28, 2023: Classes held 5 days/week for 5 hours per day=150 hours
- Budget Breakdown: $2,141.53 tuition & fees + $2,500.00 stipend.
- HAI 3213 Accelerated Beginning Haitian Creole
- HAI 3214 Accelerated Intermediate Haitian Creole
- HAI 3500 Haiti: Language & Culture (Advanced Haitian Creole)
- FOL 3905 Advanced Haitian Creole Literature
- K-14 Educator Grant - Deadline is May 1, 2023
- Summer 2023 FLAS Fellowship - Deadline is January 1, 2023
- 2023 Haitian Summer Institute Application - Deadline is May 1, 2023
Sample Course Syllabi:
- HAI 3213 Course Syllabus - Beg-Int track
- HAI 3214 Course Syllabus - Beg-Int track
- FOL 3905 Course Syllabus - Beg-Int track
- HAI 3214 Course Syllabus - Int-Adv track
- HAI 3500 Course Syllabus - Int-Adv track
- FOL 3905 Course Syllabus - Int-Adv track
Excellence in Global Learning Medallion
The Haitian Summer Institute fulfills 5 out of 20 points required for the Global Learning Medallion Activity requirement.
Please click here for more information.
- 21st Annual Haitian Summer Institute
- 20th Annual Haitian Summer Institute
- 19th Annual Haitian Summer Institute
- 18th Annual Haitian Summer Institute
- 17th Annual Haitian Summer Institute
- 16th Annual Haitian Summer Institute
Haitian Summer Institute Study Abroad Suspension Contingency Plan
Based on its assessment of in-country conditions leading up to the Institute, FIU LACC retains the right to suspend the study abroad to Haiti at any time. In the event that unpredictable conditions in Haiti prevent the group from traveling to the country, LACC's FLAS-approved contingency plan will be implemented. More specifically, the Haitian Summer Institute will extend the Miami-based portion of the Institute and its faculty will continue to offer intensive Haitian Creole language training at Florida International University. Both instructors will follow an extended pre-approved syllabus that consists of intensive language instruction Monday-Friday for 5 hours/day for the remaining two weeks of the six-week Institute. FIU Housing contracts will also be extended for an additional two weeks and students will be charged accordingly. Any financial savings that are not reallocated to cover unanticipated expenses due to any decision to suspend travel to Haiti may result in refunds being processed by FIU, based on initial program payment method. View full Haitian Summer Institute Study Abroad Suspension Contingency Plan here.
For More Information:
Haitian Summer Institute, Academic Programs
Kimberly Green Latin American and Caribbean Center
Florida International University
Modesto A. Maidique, DM 353
Miami, Florida 33199
Email: email@example.com or LACC@fiu.edu