LACC's outreach program on Latin America and the Caribbean is among the largest and most active of its kind. As a cornerstone of its mission and in collaboration with its affiliates, other academic institutions, and public and private organizations, LACC engages educators, media professionals, government officials, members of the private sector and the general public through its outreach programming. Each year, LACC hosts over 100 outreach events related to Latin America and the Caribbean, and local diaspora communities, that attract more than 10,000 participants. In addition to LACC's robust year-round lecture series, major annual events include the Annual Journalists and Editors Workshop, Teacher Training Workshops and Latin American and Caribbean Strategic Culture Workshops, a joint project with FIU's Jack D. Gordon Institute for Public Policy (JGI) and the US Southern Command designed to encourage dialogue between faculty experts, policy makers and hemispheric security officials.
The common thread linking LACC's activities and its affiliated centers and institutes is a commitment to projects that contribute to the understanding of social, political, economic and cultural trends in Latin America and the Caribbean while educating as wide a public as possible about the region.
As a direct benefit to LACC’s outreach programming, the Center takes advantage of its unique location and unprecedented access to some of the most prominent political and cultural leaders engaged with the region to provide exciting outreach programs year-round.
Outreach Program Highlights:
- LACC/Miami Dade County Public Schools K-12 Teacher Training Workshops & Summer Institutes
- LACC/South Florida Public Schools K-12 Portuguese Expansion & Dual Enrollment
- LACC/Rhythm Foundation at FIU
- Que Beleza Brasil!
- LACC/Ayiti Images South Florida High School and Florida State College Outreach Screenings
- LACC/Minority-Serving Institution/Community College Internationalization Seminars & Trainings
- LACC/Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Tropical Botany Summer Institute
- LACC/FIU Education Global Gateways Program
- LACC FLAC Lecture Series in Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole and Quechua
- Díaz-Ayala Cuban and Latin American Popular Music Collection Library Travel Grants
- Annual Journalists & Editors Workshop
- LACC/InterAmerican Press Association Spanish-Language Media Webinar Series
- LACC @ FIU in D.C.
- LACC/US Southern Command Roundtable Series
2024 Global Studies Symposium
is intended to provide a space for MSI and CC faculty and administrators to share new strategies, innovation, and best practices in international education while strengthening professional networks and developing new partnerships. While we appreciate NRC’s interest in attending, we prefer that NRCs sponsor the participation of their Community College/MSI partners.
Please see the 2024 Global Studies Symposium Tentative Agenda.