LACC's outreach program on Latin America and the Caribbean is among the largest and most active of its kind. As a cornerstone of its mission and in collaboration with its affiliates, other academic institutions, and public and private organizations, LACC engages educators, media professionals, government officials, members of the private sector and the general public through its outreach programming. Each year, LACC hosts over 100 outreach events related to Latin America and the Caribbean, and local diaspora communities, that attract more than 10,000 participants. In addition to LACC's robust year-round lecture series, major annual events include the Annual Journalists and Editors Workshop, Teacher Training Workshops and Latin American and Caribbean Strategic Culture Workshops, a joint project with FIU's Jack D. Gordon Institute for Public Policy (JGI) and the US Southern Command designed to encourage dialogue between faculty experts, policy makers and hemispheric security officials.
The common thread linking LACC's activities and its affiliated centers and institutes is a commitment to projects that contribute to the understanding of social, political, economic and cultural trends in Latin America and the Caribbean while educating as wide a public as possible about the region.
As a direct benefit to LACC’s outreach programming, the Center takes advantage of its unique location and unprecedented access to some of the most prominent political and cultural leaders engaged with the region to provide exciting outreach programs year-round.
Outreach Program Highlights:
- LACC/AYITI-IMAGES' MDCPS 9-12 and Florida State Colleges Outreach Screenings
- LACC/Rhythm Foundation Artist at FIU
- LACC/Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Tropical Botany Summer Institute
- LACC/Miami Dade County Public Schools Teacher Training Workshops
- Journalists & Editors Workshop
- LACC/Haitian Consulate/HSO/Department of Modern Languages Creole Month Celebration Events
- Latin America Forum
- LACC in Washington D.C.
- LACC Public Policy Roundtables
- US Department of Education Title VI-funded Distinguished Speaker Lecture Series
- Díaz-Ayala Cuban and Latin American Popular Music Collection Library Travel Grants
- LACC/Santa Fe College Faculty Collaboration Program