Haitian Summer Institute
Now entering its 20th year, the Haitian Summer Institute is a six-week program designed for anyone interested in acquiring basic conversational proficiency in Haitian Creole and also for those students who wish to continue their Haitian Creole Language training at the intermediate and advanced levels. The FLAS-approved institute is held at FIU's Modesto Maidique Campus in Miami and culminates with an optional study abroad to Haiti, which provides participants with a unique opportunity to further immerse themselves in Haitian Creole while experiencing the country first-hand.
The program begins with intensive Haitian Creole language training in Miami which is divided into two tracks. Students participating in the Miami portion have two enrollment options: Accelerated Beginning Haitian Creole for the first half of the Miami portion and Accelerated Intermediate Haitian Creole for the final half of the Miami portion, or Accelerated Intermediate Haitian Creole for the first half of the Miami portion and Accelerated Advanced Haitian Creole for the final half. In addition to the Institute's intensive language courses, participants are introduced to Haitian history and culture through lectures in English and Haitian Creole presented by nationally-recognized Haitianists and Diasporic leaders, film, technical training sessions and tours of Miami's Little Haiti neighborhood. Classes in Miami are held Monday through Friday and include a morning and afternoon session. Housing is available on campus at an additional cost. The Miami portion of the Haitian Summer Institute is open to students from all levels, as well as non-traditional students and professionals.
The study abroad is designed to further expose students to Haiti, its culture and its people through a highly-structured two-week trip to Haiti. The 2017 study abroad includes time in the capital city of Port-au-Prince, as well as other areas of the country. Participation in the Study Abroad is optional and space is limited; priority is given to graduate and undergraduate FLAS Fellows and degree-seeking graduate students, although undergraduates, professionals, and non-traditional students are encouraged to apply.
All applicants are encouraged to submit the application packet, along with the required supporting materials to the Kimberly Green Latin American and Caribbean Center by 5:00pm on May 5, 2017 (Applications may be accepted after May 5, 2017, but space is not guaranteed).
Summer B Term: June 19-July 29, 2017
Miami Portion: June 19-July 21, 2017
Haiti Portion (Optional; Space is limited): July 23-July 29, 2017
Tuition and Program Fees
Miami Portion: 6 undergraduate credits
- Tuition: $1,233.42
Haiti Portion: 1 undergraduate credit
- Tuition: $205.57
- Program Fees: TBA (in addition $175 FIU Study Abroad Fee and $30 Non-Degree Seeking Student Application fee)
*Optional on-campus housing based on double-occupancy during Miami portion.
Approximate Cost: $29/night for 35 nights (June 18-July 22) based on double-occupancy = $1,085
- All study abroad students are charged study abroad tuition at the In-State rate. Study Abroad program fee includes round-trip airfare between MIA and Haiti, hotel based on double-occupancy, in-country transportation with private driver and excursions.
- HAI 3213 Accelerated Beginning Haitian Creole
- HAI 3214 Accelerated Intermediate Haitian Creole
- HAI 3500 Haiti: Language & Culture (Advanced Haitian Creole)
- FOL 3905 Haiti Study Abroad
FLAS Fellowship Information:
- Program Length (Miami and Haiti portions): 6 weeks
- Contact Hours: Miami portion: June 19-July 21, 2017: Classes held 5 days/week for 5 hours per day=125 hours; Haiti portion: July 23-July 29, 2017: Classes held 7 days/week for 25 hours per week=25 hours; Total Classroom Contact Hours=150 hours.
- 2016 Haitian Summer Institute Application
- K-12 Educator Grant Application
- Summer 2017 FLAS Fellowship Application - Deadline is February 10, 2017
- LACC Study Abroad Scholarship Application
- Haiti Study Abroad Application
Sample Course Syllabi:
Excellence in Global Learning Medallion
The Haitian Summer Institute fulfills 5 out of 20 points required for the Global Learning Medallion Activity requirement.
Please click here for more information.
For More Information:
Haitian Summer Institute, Academic Programs
Kimberly Green Latin American and Caribbean Center
Florida International University
Modesto A. Maidique, DM 353
Miami, Florida 33199