Florida-Mexico Institute (FMI)
The Florida-Mexico Institute (FMI) is a linkage institute founded by the Florida legislature to promote and expand commercial, cultural, and educational linkages between Florida and Mexico. FMI is housed at the Latin American and Caribbean Center (LACC) located at FIU. FMI provides scholarships to eligible students by waiving the out-of-state tuition.
A limited number of waivers are available. Application deadline for 2013-2014 is May 1, 2013.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Who is eligible for the FMI scholarship?
Students who have been admitted or who meet admission requirements to any university or community college of the public education system of the state of Florida. Preference will be given to graduate students AND are:
- Mexican citizens studying in Florida with student visas.
- committed to return to Mexico after the completion of their studies for a length of time equal to their exemption period, as required by the scholarship program.
What are the basic requirements to apply for the FMI scholarship?
In order to apply, students must:
- Be an international student with a F1, or J1 visa
- Be fully admitted to a state college or university
- Have at least a 3.0 or higher GPA
- Submit most current transcripts
- Submit proof of test scores such as SAT, ACT, CLAST, GRE, GMAT, and/or TOEFL scores appropriate for admission to Florida community colleges and universities. Proof of test scores must accompany applications
- Submit the statement of purpose (two essays, 500 word maximum)
- Submit copy of passport and visa
When should I apply?
You must apply by May 1 every year. Because this scholarship is for one year, you must apply every year.
Where can I obtain the FMI application?
You can download the application here: Apply Now!
What do I need to submit after I have finished the application?
Once you have downloaded and completed the application, print this completed application it and attach the following documents in the order listed below:
- Application Form
- Official transcripts of all college-level work
- Proof of admission to Florida Community College or University
- (copy of acceptance letter)
- Copy of official test scores
- (SAT, ACT, CLAST, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, GMAT, CPT, ECADEP and/or TOEFL)
- Copy of Passport
- Copy of Visa
- Copy of I-20 or DS-2019
Mail or Hand-Deliver Completed Application Package to:
- FLORIDA-MEXICO INSTITUTE (FMI)
Latin American and Caribbean Center
Florida International University
11200 SW 8th Street
Modesto A. Maidique Campus
Miami, FL 33199
Phone: (305) 348-2894
Fax: (305) 348-3593
When will I know if I was or not awarded an FMI scholarship?
An award or rejection letter will be mailed to your mailing address at the end of May each year. If you receive an award, you must return the notarized form by the deadline; otherwise, your award will be forfeited and given to another qualified student. Selection will be made by the FMI scholarship committee. Only properly completed applications, submitted by May 1, will be considered.
If granted, what University officials need to be informed about your award?
You must present your letter of award to the Cashiers Office when you register. They will waive the number of credits stated on the award letter.
If I have any further questions, who can I contact?
Contact LACC's Linkage Institute Coordinator at (305)348-2894 or email email@example.com.