Florida-Caribbean Institute (FCI)
The Florida-Caribbean Institute (FCI) is a linkage institute founded by the Florida legislature to promote and expand commercial, cultural, and educational linkages between Florida and the Caribbean. FCI is housed at the Kimberly Green Latin American and Caribbean Center (LACC) located at FIU. FCI provides out-of-state tuition waivers to eligible students by waiving the out-of-state tuition.
A limited number of waivers are available. Application deadline for the 2016-2017 Academic Year is June 1, 2016. We will begin to receive applications in February.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Who is eligible for the FCI Out-of-State Tuition Waiver?
Students who have been admitted or who meet admission requirements to any university or community college of the public education system of the state of Florida AND are:
- Citizens of the Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and Trinidad and Tobago) studying in Florida with student visas.
- Committed to return to their Caribbean country after the completion of their studies, for a length of time equal to their exemption period, as required by the out-of-state tuition waiver program.
What are the basic requirements to apply for the FCI Out-of-State Tuition Waiver?
In order to apply, students must:
- Be an international student with a F1, or J1 visa
- Be fully admitted to a state college or university
- Have at least a 3.0 or higher GPA
- Submit most current transcripts
- Submit proof of test scores such as SAT, ACT, CLAST, GRE, GMAT, and/or TOEFL
- Submit completed application packet including two 500 word essays
- Submit copy of passport and visa
When should I apply?
You must apply by June 1 every year. Because this out-of-state tuition waiver is for one academic year, you must apply every year.
Where can I obtain the FCI application?
You can download the application here: Apply now!
What do I need to submit after I have finished the application?
Once you have downloaded and completed the application, print this completed application and attach the following documents in the order listed below:
- Application Form
- Official transcripts of all college-level work
- Proof of admission to Florida Community College or University
- (copy of acceptance letter)
- Copy of official test scores
- (SAT, ACT, CLAST, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, GMAT, CPT, ECADEP and/or TOEFL)
- Copy of Passport
- Copy of Visa
- Copy of I-20 or DS-2019
Mail or Hand-Deliver Completed Application Package to:
- FLORIDA-CARIBBEAN INSTITUTE (FCI)
Kimberly Green Latin American and Caribbean Center
Florida International University
11200 SW 8th Street
Modesto A. Maidique Campus
Miami, FL 33199
Phone: (305) 348-2894
Fax: (305) 348-3593
When will I know if I was or not awarded an FCI Out-of-State Tuition Waiver?
An award or rejection letter will be mailed to your mailing address at the end of June each year. If you receive an award, you must return the notarized form by the deadline; otherwise, your award will be forfeited and given to another qualified student. Selection will be made by the FCI Out-of-State Tuition Waiver committee. Only properly completed applications, submitted by June 1, will be considered.
If granted, what University officials need to be informed about your award?
You must present your letter of award to the Cashiers Office when you register. They will waive the number of credits stated on the award letter.
If I have any further questions, who can I contact?
Contact LACC's Linkage Institute Coordinator at (305)348-2894 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.